Sunday, May 23, 2010

another question for you guys...

You all were so helpful with my last conundrum that I thought, "what better group to pose another toughie to?" So here goes.

My MC, Everly, has to complete a task in order to save her own life. This task is very time-consuming (So time-consuming, in fact, that I plan on extending this into a trilogy), and the question I seem to be stumped on is whether or not to begin my story with Everly already in the midst of trying to accomplish said goal (i.e. 10 apples out of 100 found) or have her just beginning. I tend to lean toward putting her in the thick of it, that way she's already deep in the intensity of trying to reach the finish line.

Am I wrong? Should I begin with Everly going about her normal day until the problem falls into her life and she has to find a way to solve it? Or should I have her elbows-deep in the middle of trying to survive?

Where would you begin?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I think maybe we should learn about her first before the conflict is mentioned--that way we can care about her as a character and want to follow her achieve her goals. Not a lot of backstory--just enough to get us interested. :)

    ReplyDelete