Thursday, May 20, 2010

boy or girl?

So I know it's been a few days since I was last on here, and for that I apologize. That thing called life got in my way!  But I'm back, and with a question I hope can be answered here.

My writing genre of choice is YA paranormal. I absolutely love reading it and writing about it...but I'm torn over my MC. Should I write from the perspective of a boy (since I was once, many moons ago, a boy) or does it matter? Will potential readers enjoy the story more if they know the author is writing at least from the same sex?

Help me out here, folks. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the current female lead I have, or should I send her on her merry way and replace her with a male lead?

And what about your MCs?  Are they 100% different from you (in every way!) or do you stick with what you feel you know the most about?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that's a good question! I'd write a chapter with the MC as a boy, and then the same chapter with the MC as a girl. See which fits better. :-)

    Jacob, my MC, is like me in some ways, but in others he's very different. We both tend to think things through a lot, but he's more introverted than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Andrea. It's crazy I didn't think of that...so glad blogs exist!

    And thanks for joining me! You know, I feel the same about my MC Everly...we're a lot a like, but at the same time I'm able to live vicariously through her. (You know, be mean to the bullies and things I never had the nerve to do in high school!)

    But I'm definitely gonna try the dual chapter thing...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it matters whether the author is the same gender as the MC. Use whatever fits the story best. Personally, I'd love to see more male main characters but you got to do what's right for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Jaydee...thanks for following! And I hope you're right!

    Here's to hoping that after I've dropped tens of thousands of words onto paper from the POV of a teenage girl that people won't scoff and laugh me out of writerdom!

    ReplyDelete